Thursday, December 18, 2008

A Perfect Pairing

This may not be news to everyone because it hit a day or two ago, but I'm still catching up!

It seems, to celebrate Barbie's 50th birthday, Mnsr. Louboutin will be creating a pair of special pumps in the Barbie Pantone 219 Pink.

Barbie in one of her many fashionable guises - © Rex Features via Vogue.com I actually have this orginal bathing suit, along with a number of other outfits, handed down from my mom


"Barbie needs to wear great shoes because every girl needs to wear great shoes," Louboutin tells WWD. "I guess I always had a little 'girlie side' who liked Barbie."

Mattel is also planning on hosting a special runway show during New York Fashion week featuring 50 other designers creating Barbie-ispired looks. According to Vogue.com -

Fifty designers will produce life-sized outfits inspired by the doll, setting off a string of celebrations. In 2009 a new range of beauty products - boasting such names as All Doll'd Up - is planned, while collaborations with the likes of Vera Wang (a life-size wedding gown which includes a Barbie wearing its own mini version too) and Jeremy Scott (a capsule collection inspired by her), as well as the opening of an House of Barbie in Shanghai, are among other fun and games.

But the power of Barbie doesn't stop there - Mattel will embark on a three-year partnership with the Council of Fashion Designers of America from next February (the first toy company to do so) as well as sponsor New York's IMG organised Mercedes Benz Fashion Week.

If you've seen some of the Designer Barbie collector dolls, I'm sure the fashions will be fabulous... and not all pink. I just wonder how many will look back to some of the original outfits, which were amazing, and which will come up with more modern designs. Personal I love the old outfits, of which I have many from my mom and aunts - they had the original blonde Barbie and the Barbie with the black hair in the bubble-cut. They were amazing.

They had great accessories too, including quilted metallic gold clutches and white and cork wedge shoes. Not the plastic junk you see now. So, there are a lot of directions Louboutin could go with his Barbie shoes. He could do a frothy sandal, like the ones from the Resort line (which I love!)



Of course these bright bright pink wedge sandals would be perfect for Barbie's California girl lifestyle.



But I like the more modern glam Barbie. Wouldn't these Clichys be perfect? I have these and they are HIGH! So they would work with Barbie's tippy-toes.




But, of course, what could be more iconic or classic than the Louboutin Simple Pumps in super girly pink? I mean, I know I had Barbie in mind when I bought them!



Barbie pink shiny heels and Louboutin red soles. Yummy!


I hope they sell them too!

More Reading:
- Vogue.com - here and here
- WWD - here
- StyleHog - here
- Barbie - EverythingGirl.com
- Barbie for Grown-ups
- Barbie Collectors

2 comments:

SAMANTHA DARKO said...

I Love It! I actually collect the Witch Barbies that they put out at Halloween. For every Special Season barbie there are three different ones made so that even the not so well off kids can have Holiday Barbie (even if it isn't the F.A. Swartz one).

Frankie said...

wow, those last ones are dreamyyyy x