Saturday, June 20, 2009

What's in Davy Jones' Locker?

I understand that designers are feeling the need to continue to push the boundries of their designs (and consumers), especially in these economic times. By creating more "extreme" or excessive pieces they can continue to justify their higher prices. Heck, I think I've seen prices go up more than down in the Premier Design categories.

But seriously? Over the knee boots? Is this a really a trend that consumers are clamoring for? I find this especially surprising give the fact that there were nine (!!!) different styles of over the knee boots for fall at Bergdorf's alone.

Now I know I'm biased against these. Frankly, I know I am no where near tall enough to ever wear these. They would go up quite a bit higher than my knee. They just seem like such a bother too. I used to ride dressage and had jodphurs and knee-boots and those were a pain sometimes. I can't imagine trying to get these on and off.

Bergdorfs is selling -

Ralph Lauren - $1250



Prada - $1400



Manolo Blahnik - $1795



Henry Beguelin - $1400



Christian Louboutin - $1995



Christian Louboutin - $1995



Chloe - $1295



Stella McCartney - $1595



I do admire the detail on these though...



Besides my very large concern about how I would actually stuff pants into some of these (or are you meant to wear them and just a long shirt ala Lindsey Lohan???) is that I would look like Geena Davis in Cutthroat Island.
No. No. No. No. No!

But maybe I'm being too harsh. Maybe the inspiration came from one very dashing
Errol Flynn, whose birthday is today. Let's just hope that is the case and that we can someday look as good in OTK boots as he does.



4 comments:

WendyB said...

I've always worn my skinny over-the-knee Manolo boots (I've definitely had them for about five years) with skirts. There's no way to stuff pants into them! I don't know how people do that but it seems like it would be very uncomfortable.

Ashe Mischief said...

I tend not to even look at over the knee boots, because it's hard to find a boot that will fit my calf, let alone thigh (I'd probably need two designer shoes to do it D:), but GODDAMN are those Prada boots beautiful.

Light Stealer said...

I found myself intrigued by over the knee boots right before spring, so I resisted the temptation: "you're not gonna wear them for months yet" - I told myself.

Plus, as I've said other times, I'm 5' 5" so I'm facing the same old dilemma: am I too short for these?

Well, I guess I'll have to find an answer when the temptation will come back in full force around September..I know it will! ;P

Anonymous said...

I have two pairs of over-the-knee boots (I have a shoe obsession, I'm working on it!) - I rarely wear them over the knee, however, as they are baggy so I can fold them... I don't have the commitment to wear them tight!