Tuesday, June 28, 2011

SD Review - Demeter Fragrances

You probably know Demeter perfumes from their quirky Fragrance Library of "pure" scents.  They captured attention ages ago with perfumes that capture the complex and textured smells of Rain, Tomato and Dirt.



Over the years, their library has expanded to hundreds and include perfumes based on classic drinks, Hello Kitty, Play-Doh and a number of sweet treats.

I've always been interested in a number of their scents... how can you not want to see how they've captured Grass or Bonfire or Champagne. I ordered a whole bunch of their purse-sized sprays to test them out.


I'm generally pretty sensitive and picky about my perfumes.   I don't even have any gardenia-based perfumes (my favorite flower) because they all always smell artificial.

When I received all of these I was pretty excited to give them a go. There were some, like Champagne Brut and Grass, that smelled almost plastic and turned me off completely. Some I just didn't like.  In the end I stuck with:

 Black Pepper (a very wearable scent and a good day option to Caron's Poivre perfume)

Beetroot (sweet, earthy, unusual.  I like the weirdness of it)

Lilac (just as sweet and simple as you would expect)

Earl Grey Tea (I love bergamot)

Wet Garden (moist, green, earthy with sweet flowers)

The rest went back.  They were either too strong, not what I hoped or I just didn't like them in person.  The purse sprays are an economical way to test these out at only $10 each but they are colognes so their lasting time is pretty short.

I'm going to try some more soon, namely that Bonfire, so I'll let you know what they are like as well.


1 comment:

Cupboard Love said...

I'm a huge fan of Demeter's Lychee scent - of all the perfumes I've tried, they are the only ones to really capture the essence of the lychee. It's my favorite day to day scent.